Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pickling



A few weeks ago, I went to this amazing dinner at Seasonal Pantry.  It was the coolest restaurant in DC.  One of the cool things about it is that you sit communally.  Not only do you get to know the people you came with, but also you share a meal with people you just met! I was sitting next to this woman who loved pickling.  I explained to her how I once tried pickling, and it did not go so well.

This week in my farm box, I got the most gorgeous watermelon radishes.  They are so beautiful.  I couldn't just eat them right off the bat, so I decided to try pickling again.


The one tip the woman gave me was to cut whatever I was pickling into small, thin pieces, so the vinegar could infuse more easily.  She also said that with pickling there is a lot of freedom with types of vinegar and spices, so feel free to diverge from my ingredients/directions.

Ingredients:
Radishes, sliced thinly
Vinegar to fill the jar
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of brown sugar

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a jar and refrigerate.


4 comments:

  1. Pickled beets are one of my all time favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not used to eating pickled vegetables, but this looks really interesting and tasty! It makes sense that cutting the pieces into thinner slices will make it even more zesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool and I give you credit for trying all of these new things! I love pickles and definitely want to hear how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete