Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Asian Salad






While I was studying abroad in Dublin, my mom came to visit me.  One of the things we have in common is our love to cook, so naturally, we decided to take a cooking class.  There, we learned to make this delicious Asian salad with radishes.  Therefore, when I received radishes in my farm share this week, I decided to make the salad. 


This salad uses a technique of cutting called "julienne," which means cutting up the vegetables into matchstick sized pieces.  You can watch a video to learn how here.  


Ingredients:
4-5 Large Carrots, julienned
6 Small Radishes, julienned
1 Apple, julienned
1/4 Cup of Mint Leaves
3 Tb of Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tb of Brown Sugar
Optional - Hot Sauce to Taste


Directions:
Add carrots, radishes, and apples together in a bowl. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, hots sauce to taste.  Toss with mint.  Serve. 






2 comments:

  1. That is very interesting that mincing vegetables in small pieces is called "julienne" I did not know that before today! I love how there was a story behind the salad that you made today. I definitely love that feeling when food evokes memories. That is so cool though that your mom and you got to take cooking classes while in Dublin! I have always wanted to go to Italy and take cooking classes there and learn how to make fresh pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love any Asian salad and this one looks super quick and easy to try.

    ReplyDelete