Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Potato Soup



Lately, I've been really into making soup.  Maybe its been the snow or cold, but also, soup is a great way to bring friends together.  I know that sounds cheesy, but I really like to make a big pot of soup and then invite all my friends over, for a Soup Party!  

As a snow day treat, I made a big pot of potato soup from this cool, new blog, The Pioneer Woman.  My friend discovered her blog, and she makes great, simple recipes good for large groups of people!

Anyways, I decided to try her potato soup recipe.  It turned out really well.  All of my friends loved it!

Ingredients:
1 small onion, diced
10 rustic potatoes, diced
8 carrots, diced
6 stalks of celery, diced
8 cups of chicken stock or broth
3 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk
3 tablespoons of flour
1/2 cup of heavy whipping creme
1 teaspoon of paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:


Add onion, carrots, and celery to the pot.  Cook for about 3 minutes, until slightly browned.  Next, add potatoes.  Cook for another 5 minutes.
  

Add stock or broth and spices.  Simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are softened.  Whisk milk and flour together.  This is very important.  Otherwise the flour will all stick together and look more like dumplings.  Make sure all of the chunks are out of the milk.  Add to pot.  Stir.  Allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes.  Add in heavy whipping creme. Taste and add more spices if necessary.  Serve. 

4 comments:

  1. First off, I loved your picture of the chopped vegetables in the three bowls! Second off, I also am a sucker for a good soup! This potato soup looks awesome and your friends were definitely lucky to have a treat like this on the snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you organized your chopped vegetables! Also, this fresh-made potato soup looks ten times better than the potato soup I had out of a can today. I'll definitely have to keep this recipe in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! It's perfect for this terrible weather we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never attempted to make soup, but I recently purchased a slow cooker so maybe I will try making some sort of liquid dish this week!

    ReplyDelete